Holiday Gifts for the Oyster Lover
Dec 14, 2012
A couple of people recently have asked me to suggest some oyster-themed gifts for the holiday season (which, serendipitously, coincides with the oysters-are-at-their-peak-of-freakin’-deliciousness season), so here are a few things I’d be getting my ostrea-inclined BFF right now.
- An Oyster of the Month Club membership at I Love Blue Sea, my favorite mail-order retailer. There have been some lovely developments at I Love Blue Sea this month, including free shipping, lower prices, and, most interesting of all, new partnerships with an impressive list of all-star fishermen devoted to sustainable fishing practices. I Love Blue Sea lists its fishermen right on the website, and more important, when you order from ILBS, it is shipped directly from the oyster farm, meaning super-fresh and less CO2 footprint. Really, nothing says, “You are a completely spoiled alpha predator” like an Oyster of the Month Club membership.
- A new oyster knife from R Murphy Knife Company. Made right in Massachusetts, a state that knows a thing or two about shellfish, these beautiful, rosewood-handled, heavy weighted knives will convince you that you are a much better shucker than you really are. Here’s my full review.
- A shellfish grilling rack. Pretty much essential for grilling oysters without spilling the precious liquor.
- A copy of my book, of course.
- What’s that? He already has one? Well, then go for a copy of The Living Shore for the cerebral oyster fan, or Oyster Culture for the California oyster fan, or Sex, Death and Oysters for the Gulf Coast oyster fan, or Shucked for the New England oyster fan.
- How about a personally engraved oyster knife from the Harbor Island Oyster Company? This very cool site is also your place for oyster-themed ties and cummerbunds, charm necklaces, and classic tin buckets.
Wishing you all some Bountiful Bivalves in the coming weeks!
« PREVIOUS: The Saga of the Totten Inlet Virginica
» NEXT: Gulf Coast Oyster Appellations